Your iPhone is often in portrait mode while you are holding it. The iPad is often by default used in landscape mode. However, there will be instances when you would want to rotate your iPhone screen.
You need to know how to unlock the screen orientation and flip it if you want to read an eBook more comfortably, view a website more clearly, or stream media more effectively. Luckily, iPhone screen rotation offers quick ways to do so.
Here is how you rotate the iPhone screen; the same steps also work for the iPad.
How To Rotate The Screen Of An IPhone Without A Home Button
These are the steps to follow to rotate the phone
- To access Control Center, swipe downward from your screen’s upper right corner.
- Tap the button for Portrait Orientation Lock to make sure it is off.
- Flip your iPhone over and your iPhone will be in landscape mode.
NOTE: Not all apps support the landscape mode. In such applications, the screen will not rotate even if you enable the setting above. Try a different app that is known to function in landscape mode, such as Messages or Safari or YouTube, if the screen is still not rotating.
How To Rotate The Screen On An IPad
Follow these steps on your iPad if you want to rotate the screen
- To make sure that Rotation Lock is off:
- Swipe down from the top-right corner of your screen to open your control setting.
- Then tap the Rotation Lock button to make sure it’s off
- Turn your iPad sideways.
Once again, if the screen still doesn’t rotate, try a different app like Safari or Messages, which work in landscape mode.
How To Rotate The Screen On An Older IPad Model
If you have an older iPad, check to see if it has a side switch. You can set the side switch to work as a rotation lock or mute switch. Most of the older iPad models have such buttons on their side. It is not difficult to locate it.
Follow the following steps
- Go to Settings
- Tap on General.
- Under Use Side Switch To, select the option that you want
How To Rotate The Screen Of An IPhone Or IPad Touch With Home Button
If you are using an iPhone or iPad touch with a home button, these are the easy steps to rotate the phone.
- Swipe up from the bottom edge of your screen to access your control center.
- Tap the Portrait Orientation Lock button to make sure that it is off.
- Turn your iPhone or iPod touch side to rotate the screen.
How To Auto-Rotate My IPhone Without A Control Center
Using the back tap function, you can go to the Auto-Rotate. Only iPhone 8 and later devices, as well as iOS 14 and later versions, have the capability, though. If you meet the prerequisites, follow the next few steps.
- Go to
- Tap on
- In the Physical and Motor menu, select Touch
- Swipe and choose Back Tap.
- Then select between Double or Triple Tap.
- Finally, select Lock Rotation from the list, and you are good to go.
How To Rotate Your IPhone Using Assertive Touch
With the Assistive touch enable on your iPhone, you can rotate the iPhone screen with a single tap in Portrait, Upside Down, Left and Right Direction. To enable assistive touch, follow the steps below.
- Go to
- SelectAssistive Touch. Enable the toggle next to Assistive Touch.
What To Do If Your IPhone Won’t Rotate
It is unusual for that to happen, but occasionally, the screen won’t rotate, despite doing the above. If this happens to you, there’s a couple of easy things to do to fix it.
1. Quit And Restart The App
If an app won’t rotate after you have unlocked the screen orientation, then it’s likely that the app has crashed. In this scenario, the simple and easier solution is to quit and restart the app. To do this
- Swipe up from the bottom of the home screen until you get thumbnail images of each open app.
- Then swipe up the thumbnail of the app you wish to close. Once you’ve done that, reopen the app again to relaunch it
3. Quit And Restart The App
Try rebooting your phone if the above steps don’t solve the problem. Nowadays, the majority of users seldom ever turn their phones off, so perhaps a soft reboot is all that’s required to get things working again.
You can restart your iPhone by pressing and holding the volume down and power buttons at the same time, unless you have a very old model of the Apple device. Slide the power off button when prompted to do so on the screen.
4. Update IOS And Application
Check the version of the application and iOS. If any of this is outdated can be the reason why is my iPhone screen not rotating.