You would undoubtedly value the ability to be able send your location without knowing the specifics if you have ever tried to meet someone at a specific spot but you did not know the exact address.
This is because telling friends and family where you are at any given time might be challenging. Well, the good news: There’s an iPhone hack for that. All you need to do is learn how to share location on iPhones, and the process couldn’t be simpler.
In this article, we will guide you through the key share location iPhone methods and explain how to track an iPhone of your friend or family member, how to stop sharing location without them knowing, and more.
How To Turn On Location On Your IPhone
- Go to settings
- Go to privacy and security
- Go to Location services
- Scroll down to the app you want to allow access
- Tap on either
- While using the app: allows access to Location Services only when the app or one of its features is visible on screen. If an app is set to While Using the App, you might see your status bar turn blue with a message that an app is actively using your location.
Always: Permits location access even while the program is running in the background
Note: To share your location from another device, open Find My on the device and change your location to that device. If you share your location from an iPhone that’s paired with Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models), your location is shared from your Apple Watch when you’re out of range of your iPhone and Apple Watch is on your wrist.
How To Turn On Precise Location On
Some apps use the precise Location in iOS 14 and iPad OS 14, allowing them to locate you precisely. Note that, with turning the precise setting off, apps will only be able to use an approximation your location.
Here is how to turn it on:
- Go to settings
- Go to privacy and security
- Go to location services
- Select the app you want to allow the precise location
- Turn the precise location on.
How To Send Your Location
The Find My app on the iPhone allows for location sharing; it works similarly to using Find My iPhone for a buddy.
You must first allow family sharing and then turn on Location Services for it to operate. Let us start with the first.
- Open Settings
- Go to Privacy
- Make sure Location Services are toggled on.
- If you tap Location Services, you can customize sharing permissions for specific apps. For example, if you don’t want Facebook Messenger to track your location, you can disable it.
NOTE: Many of the applications and messengers you use on a daily basis include a “share my location” option, but this feature can only be used if Location Services are enabled on your iPhone and the appropriate sharing permissions are granted to the app.
How To Share Your Location With A Select Group Of People
To enable this setting, you should enable Family Sharing:
- Open Settings and tap your account name
- Choose Family Sharing and follow the instructions to add your family members
- See the list of what’s being shared with your family and choose Location Sharing. You can also share your subscriptions, iCloud, etc.
How To Start Tracking Your Contacts (Family And Friends)
There is some assurance in knowing that your friends and family are safe in the locations they said they would be in. before you proceed to this step, make sure you have enabled your find my iphone. If you have done that already, let us proceed.
- Open Find My app on your iPhone
- Switch to the People tab
- If they have allowed location tracking, you’ll see them on the map
- Tap the name of the person you’re tracking to interact with them — you can contact them, tap Directions if you want to see directions to their location, or set up a notification that should be sent to you once they reach a certain location.
Stop Sharing Your Location
You can stop sharing your location with a specific friend or hide your location from everyone. If you want to go untraceable, the fastest way would be to disable Location Services on iPhone (Settings > Privacy > Location Services).
Here’s what you need to do to stop sharing your location with Family without turning off Location Services on your device
- Stop sharing with a friend: Tap People at the bottom of the screen, then tap the name of the person you don’t want to share your location with. Tap Stop Sharing My Location, then tap Stop Sharing Location.
- Hide your location from everyone: Tap Me at the bottom of the screen, then turn off Share My Location